Skip to main content

Spain and its not so wonderful public administration.



A week ago I queued up at the National Police Station in Málaga to get a replacement of my N.I.E as I am a bit clumsy and lost it. I queued for around an hour and a half to be told to come back on the 22nd of September at 9:30 with my passport and my university inscription (to prove I was a student), I was given a form to fill out and another to take to the bank to pay a fee of 10.60 euros to get my new NIE paper, I was also asked to bring something that shows I am still being "maintained" by my parents as they put it.



This morning I arrived at 9:20 at the station for my appointment, all papers with me, I queued for about 25 minutes and it was my turn finally, I walked in and the nice spanish lady with big hair at the desk took my details and started typing, she then asked me for my European health card, I explained I have been in Spain for 12 years and have a spanish health card, she said that wasn't enough and that I needed another paper to prove I was entitled to national health in Spain, I explained I had my parents yearly income papers that showed they have worked and therefore I am still covered by their health, obviously it was not enough and I got told to go the Social Security office, after an hour driving around, looking on the Internet and asking 7 different people I found the street the office was on, I then walked around for another 25 minutes trying to find the office that obviously had no sign posts at all. Finally I see it, a little red door with "Seguridad Social" on it. I walked in, explained at information and got told I had to go to the building opposite, I did and again got sent elsewhere. 

Finally I found the right office at 11:10 and got given an appointment for 12:10. I wasn't expecting anything else. I proceeded to wait anxiously surrounded by people shouting. Thankfully I didn't have to wait long and was seen early and out of there by 11:45 and off I went back to the station, I skipped the queue and walked straight in to the woman I had seen previously, she told me she hadn't had any luck with anyone she had seen that morning, she took my passport to make a copy and then proceeded to complain about how "you need a master's degree to worker to copy machine" and how "hard it is to work in these conditions and at this tiny desk". Ten minutes later I was finished. 



I don't understand how something as simple as getting a duplicate of an ID is so difficult, I am on the system and have been for 12 years, she could see that by typing my little number in but either way she had to give me the run around and make me spend my whole morning hunting down an office for an extra paper.  My dad always said that some people are put on a special course before working in public admin in Spain, I'm starting to realise why he says it. The never ending stacks of paper they must have in their files!

It's ironic really how a country thinks they are far better than many others and gloat that they are becoming more computerised when you still need masses of paper to get anything sorted. 
I wasn't surprised at the answer I got when I asked the lady who attended me if in future appointments could be made on the internet or telephone, "we do not have that possibility at the moment, there are a lot of foreigners that need different papers so they must queue up a couple of weeks before they need the appointment", just as well I wasn't in a massive rush to get my ID. 

Complaining in a simple way, Hannah. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Something about FN

There is something about travelling alone that gives me a good feeling.  Going at your own pace through security, getting a coffee and a croissant and sit down enjoying a good book while waiting for your gate to show up. Walking to the gate (because I gave myself plenty of time arriving early) and waiting it out. Sitting down next some complete strangers who you end up sharing a few words with, in whatever language you both understand (or the language of pointing to things and nodding your head). If you are lucky enough to sit by the window, enjoy the view. See how little things are when you are 10.000 metres above the ground flying at 750 km per hour looking at the melted snow on the top of the Alps, realising it was just over a month ago when they were white coated rocks. There is just something about it. Also about arriving, running, rushing to your bus or train or boat because to get around in Central Europe you may need all three.  There is just something about it. 

Who's the strange one?

I'm a very curious person, the sort of person who, if interested in something, will research every last details of this. Next week is the deadline for 'erasmus' applications to study a term (or more) abroad and I have found myself surrounded by people asking me all about it. I seem to be the only person with a basic knowledge on the subject in my circle of friends. As me and some friends have been preparing a presentation for one of my university subjects, we have been talking about 'known' bloggers here in Spain, I am supposed to give examples in my presentation and my friends have given me loads of names of people with 'funny' blogs or 'funny you-tubers', when I told them I had no idea who any of these people are they were shocked. They may know everything about insignificant matters such as funny videos but at the end of the day none of them have a clue about what they are actually interested in, for example, studying abroad. Some say I take

Are university degrees worth it?

It's exam time and I have decided to write a little piece on a university degree from a current student's point of view. A survey taken place in the UK in 2015 says half of all students agree their university degree was not worth the thirty something thousand pound debt it left them with. However, records show that over ten thousand more students applied to university last year.  A similar study was done in Spain, in 2015 there was a record of 1.361.340 students inscribed in university, public and private. Again, the number of college applications has increased while over half or the recent graduates regret their decisions on course or university.  Sixty percent of graduates in Peru said they regret getting their university degree. Many of the surveyed pupils say they regret their past decisions due to either they didn't get enough orientation or the course wasn't structured properly. Students today are demanding more than what they expected when un