Skip to main content

Something about FN



There is something about travelling alone that gives me a good feeling. 

Going at your own pace through security, getting a coffee and a croissant and sit down enjoying a good book while waiting for your gate to show up. Walking to the gate (because I gave myself plenty of time arriving early) and waiting it out. Sitting down next some complete strangers who you end up sharing a few words with, in whatever language you both understand (or the language of pointing to things and nodding your head). If you are lucky enough to sit by the window, enjoy the view. See how little things are when you are 10.000 metres above the ground flying at 750 km per hour looking at the melted snow on the top of the Alps, realising it was just over a month ago when they were white coated rocks. There is just something about it. Also about arriving, running, rushing to your bus or train or boat because to get around in Central Europe you may need all three. 

There is just something about it. 

There is also something about this place I'm at that I can not seem to describe. Not sure if it is the people, the place or the memories. I'm sure it is a mix. 

There is something different about a sunny day in the rest of Europe that you don't see in Spain. People out having picnics, kids dipping their toes in the river, hundreds of sailing boats floating like ducks. There is just something about it. 

Then you see your friends, friends you haven't seen for a few months but friends you made while spending some of the best months of your life (as cheesy as it sounds, everyone who studies abroad will agree), they may be waiting in their room or they may come running at you as if you were giving away free food. There is definitely something about that. There is also something about them, the ones who became your closest allies, your best friends, your mother or even the bad influences. There is something about them that obligates you to thank the country for putting them near you, and hate the distance that is now between you. 

There is something about Erasmus. 

There is something about going back. 

I can't begin to describe what it is like to chill on the lake, to rent a speed boat, jump in (ice) cold water, (maybe I exaggerate a bit) and see lightly snow topped Alps in the background, to enjoy one of the prettiest sunsets I've seen. There is just something about it.

There is just something about it, that makes you want to do it all over again but at the same time can't be compared to any previous or future abroad experiences.

Thank you Friedrichshafen. There is just something about you. 


Comments

  1. There's something about Nijmegen, maybe it's the broken Dutch you try to speak while printing photos or maybe the friends you make along the way- or the dumb stuff that you do that just gives you a little giggle randomly. Actually I know what it is, her name is Victoria ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who's the strange one?

I'm a very curious person, the sort of person who, if interested in something, will research every last details of this. Next week is the deadline for 'erasmus' applications to study a term (or more) abroad and I have found myself surrounded by people asking me all about it. I seem to be the only person with a basic knowledge on the subject in my circle of friends. As me and some friends have been preparing a presentation for one of my university subjects, we have been talking about 'known' bloggers here in Spain, I am supposed to give examples in my presentation and my friends have given me loads of names of people with 'funny' blogs or 'funny you-tubers', when I told them I had no idea who any of these people are they were shocked. They may know everything about insignificant matters such as funny videos but at the end of the day none of them have a clue about what they are actually interested in, for example, studying abroad. Some say I take

Are university degrees worth it?

It's exam time and I have decided to write a little piece on a university degree from a current student's point of view. A survey taken place in the UK in 2015 says half of all students agree their university degree was not worth the thirty something thousand pound debt it left them with. However, records show that over ten thousand more students applied to university last year.  A similar study was done in Spain, in 2015 there was a record of 1.361.340 students inscribed in university, public and private. Again, the number of college applications has increased while over half or the recent graduates regret their decisions on course or university.  Sixty percent of graduates in Peru said they regret getting their university degree. Many of the surveyed pupils say they regret their past decisions due to either they didn't get enough orientation or the course wasn't structured properly. Students today are demanding more than what they expected when un