Skip to main content

What is junk food?



Measurements refer to grammes of sugar of full fat versions of beverage


We generally associate junk food to most fast foods such as Mcdonalds, Burger King or KFC, but in fact it is technically referring to any food that has a high content of fat, little nutritional value and an extreme amount of calories.

The ingestion of junk food is becoming a worldwide problem, causing many health scares and even irreversible diseases. An over ingestion can lead to heart failure, diabetes, cancer, Alzheimer's and even depression, it's no wonder it tastes so good.

However the biggest health scare of all is probably obesity - a problem that isn't being given the importance it requires. It probably won't be any time soon that junk food intake is reduced, this is mainly due to the multi million dollar campaigns that the food industry produce.

Like I mentioned before, many relate junk food to fast food, thinking that it isn't that bad for you, and well i think we can all agree it can sometimes be super convenient. 

But, if professionals are saying that junk food is any food with little nutritional value, high content of fat or sugar, doesn't that just leave with naturally grown vegetables? I mean really natural, grown in your own back yard natural, as the supermarket ones are generally manipulated during growth to get the perfect size and colour. 

This kind of food, although I admit I eat it, isn't good for you in anyway. Will the government or any other grand organisation reduce our intake of this kind of food? No country can afford the overweight epidemic it is going to eventually course, if it hasn't already.

Maybe if we reduce the availability of these foods, the result of life threatening diseases would drop too? 

The taxes on junk food alone is the main reason the above will not be happening, all over the world foods with a higher nutritional value can most of the time be more expensive than those pre-elaborated meals in the freezer or in a jar, making it harder to carry out a completely junk free diet. 

I have recently taken up yoga, and it makes you appreciate your body and what you feed it, I am not saying I will be dropping all foods out of my daily diet anytime soon, but it is something I bare in mind when I come home from uni starving thinking about what to eat. 

Something to think about this weekend when you are out with your friends going to get some lunch, maybe you don't head towards the chain restaurants, but a little picnic bar or maybe a tapa and a beer sitting in the sun, although the weather may not let you!

Please do not start consuming red bull instead of coca cola just because the picture says it has less sugar content, it doesn't mean it is good for you!!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Something about FN

There is something about travelling alone that gives me a good feeling.  Going at your own pace through security, getting a coffee and a croissant and sit down enjoying a good book while waiting for your gate to show up. Walking to the gate (because I gave myself plenty of time arriving early) and waiting it out. Sitting down next some complete strangers who you end up sharing a few words with, in whatever language you both understand (or the language of pointing to things and nodding your head). If you are lucky enough to sit by the window, enjoy the view. See how little things are when you are 10.000 metres above the ground flying at 750 km per hour looking at the melted snow on the top of the Alps, realising it was just over a month ago when they were white coated rocks. There is just something about it. Also about arriving, running, rushing to your bus or train or boat because to get around in Central Europe you may need all three.  There is just something about it. 

Who's the strange one?

I'm a very curious person, the sort of person who, if interested in something, will research every last details of this. Next week is the deadline for 'erasmus' applications to study a term (or more) abroad and I have found myself surrounded by people asking me all about it. I seem to be the only person with a basic knowledge on the subject in my circle of friends. As me and some friends have been preparing a presentation for one of my university subjects, we have been talking about 'known' bloggers here in Spain, I am supposed to give examples in my presentation and my friends have given me loads of names of people with 'funny' blogs or 'funny you-tubers', when I told them I had no idea who any of these people are they were shocked. They may know everything about insignificant matters such as funny videos but at the end of the day none of them have a clue about what they are actually interested in, for example, studying abroad. Some say I take

Are university degrees worth it?

It's exam time and I have decided to write a little piece on a university degree from a current student's point of view. A survey taken place in the UK in 2015 says half of all students agree their university degree was not worth the thirty something thousand pound debt it left them with. However, records show that over ten thousand more students applied to university last year.  A similar study was done in Spain, in 2015 there was a record of 1.361.340 students inscribed in university, public and private. Again, the number of college applications has increased while over half or the recent graduates regret their decisions on course or university.  Sixty percent of graduates in Peru said they regret getting their university degree. Many of the surveyed pupils say they regret their past decisions due to either they didn't get enough orientation or the course wasn't structured properly. Students today are demanding more than what they expected when un